Sunday 17 July 2005

Goldfish

Today I wanted to wear my bright red yukata. It's the first yukata I ever bought. It came with a yellow hanhaba obi and brown geta with pink crepe straps. This time I wanted to try my heko obi I always thought these kind of obi were easier to tie, but this isn't true. I think they are harder because the bow tends to "sag". So for me, being used to firm (hanhaba)obi these soft obi are something to get used to, I need to practice a lot in order to get a nice bow... so I will in the next couple of days.
The yukata is made with a fabric almost like ro, an open weave, so it's slightly see through, not as much as ro, but almost. The colors I think are very contrasting and summer like. Bright red with bright yellow fishes, purple flowers and green leaves, some bubbles add a cool feel of water. I think this kimono is very "young" more for a teen or young girl in her early twenties. But, well, i feel young enough to wear it ^_^ I tried to add a little more contrast by tying a piece of kimono silk in a clover shape on top of the obi, but I am not sure I like this look, maybe if I had made the strip diagonal... I am not sure. It's funny, but I guess not me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey,
Thank you!
Yes I know that site (I even have the make-up)
The lady is either a model or an actress, probably not a geisha and yes, the kimono is an iro-tomesode. Geisha tend to wear their obi lower on the hips (like in the picture you showed) And they make this cross-over look. I also think the back is not tied in a drum, but left hanging loose, this is also typical for modern geisha. You can see obi tied like this in old pictures and in Liza Dalby's Kimono book. I'll see if I can find a picture and post that on your blog. This is fun! Thank you for talking for me.
(sorry for the spelling... I have no spell check on this computer *sigh* and English is not my native speach)
Misuchi